Each taxpayer’s situation is unique, and it is impossible to list all the items one must bring in for a tax appointment for every type of tax situation. When in doubt, bring the item in question to your tax appointment. The following is a good general list of the items to bring in with you for your scheduled tax appointment:
Prior Year Tax Return Copies.
If you are a new client, please bring copies of your last years federal and state income tax returns. Performance Group will review them, and we may be able to amend any mistakes/omissions.
Personal & Dependent Information
- Social Security or ITIN Numbers with date of births for anyone who’ll be on your tax return
- Childcare payment records with licensed provider’s ID number(s)
- Bring any & all W-2, 1098, 1099 & schedule K-1 forms
- Purchase date & total investment for any stocks or property sold
- List of investment related expenses
- Education scholarships or fellowships
If you are planning on itemizing your deductions (Schedule A) please compose a spreadsheet/list summarizing them. Itemized deductions include:
- Mortgage interest, real estate & personal property tax records
- Casualty & theft losses
- Amounts of state & local income tax paid in prior years
- Records of cash donations to religious institutions, schools & other charities
- Records on non-cash charitable donations
- Job search/moving expenses
Retirement & Education
- Records of any contributions to IRAs, HSAs & other retirement plans
- Records of tuition and other higher education expenses (books, computers, etc)
- Form 1095-A if you received health insurance from an Exchange (State or Federal)
- Marketplace exemption certificate if you applied for and received an exemption from the Exchange
Stocks & Mutual Funds
If you sold stocks or mutual funds, please provide a spreadsheet/list showing:
- The date(s) you purchased each item(s) sold
- Total purchase price of each item sold. Do not assume your cost information is provided on Form 1099.
Self-Employment or Rental Property
- Please prepare a simple 1 page income statement which summarizes your:
- Gross self employment income for the tax year and your applicable expenses categorized and summarized by the type of expense (i.e. advertising, equipment, supplies, etc)
- Gross rental income you received during the tax year
- Your applicable expenses categorized and summarized by the type of expense (i.e. advertising, mortgage interest, real estate taxes, repairs, maintenance, condo fees, etc).
- Rental start date and original cost base for all properties
- Business Use of Home
Finally, please bring any other official tax documents you received not mentioned above. When in doubt, bring it!